Whats better on a cool winter day than a nice hot bowl chili. I am a big believer in comfort food and eating things seasonally. When winter arrives all I want to eat are soups, stews and chili’s. They are filling and keep you warm through the evening.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 600g ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 jalapeño (whole if you like it spicier)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1-2 cups of water (I honestly just use the can of tomato sauce and add as much water as I think is necessary)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- slice up the bacon. Heat large pot on high heat. Once pan is heated add bacon. allow bacon to cook (about 5 mins). Once bacon is cooked remove from pan.
- If the bottom of the pan is dry add a little more olive oil. Add onions and peppers and allow to soften. once softened, add garlic. I like to add the garlic a little later so it doesn’t get burned. Allow to cook for a few more minutes. Until fragrant.
- Add the can of tomatoes, the tomato sauce, black beans, corn and water to the mixture. Mix together. Add brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature to medium low and allow to simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Before you are ready to serve, add the lime juice to the chilli and stir in. Allow to simmer for another 5 mins. Its ready to serve!
- Add a little cheese on top and you are ready to eat.
One thought on “Warming Winter Chili”